|Twin T51R SPL RB26DETT|
The RB26DETT. An engine of much myth. We are going to try and set out some truths. Remember to trust nothing you read on the internet, or is it trust everything that you read on the internet?
|Stock R32 Dyno chart|
|R34 - Nissan Skyline GT-R|
- Valve/Cam covers
- Aluminum.Black on R32/R33. Red on R34. Nur on the Nurs. Two
breathers located at the back of the plenum. Drivers side goes to PCV
valve. There is a crossover tube. Left side goes to the inlet
side of the rear turbo.
- Spark plug cover
- We like to leave them off to keep the coils cooler. The engine looks
more finished with the spark plug cover. You know the piece. Says
RB26DETT on it.
- Front cover
- The piece that says RB26. Covers the timing belt. Not recommended to leave off. Aluminum on R32/R33. Plastic on R34.
- Igniter box
- R32/R33 located at the back of the spark plug cover. Igniters are build into the coils in the R34.
- Coil on plug. R32/R33 are the same.
- The front two coils on a early 90's Infiniti Q45 are the same
- R34s have the igniter built in.
RB26 coils or coil packs
- Spark Plugs
- PFR6A-11 are the stock plugs
- Heat range 6
- 1.1 mm gap
- NGK are the best plugs
- BCPR7EIX are one heat range cooler and iridium
- Intake 8.58 240 duration 113 deg Lobe Center -R34N1 117 deg Lobe Center
- Exhaust 8.28 236 duration 125 deg Lobe Center-R33N1 120 deg Lobe Center - R34N1 121 deg
- Intake 34.5 mm
- Exhaust 30 mm(sodium filled)
- Head bolts
- (14) 12 mm head bolts
- 4 valves per cylinder
- Twin cam
- Cam on bucket
- Shim under bucket adjustment
- Head gasket
|RB26 combustion chamber|
- Lean cylinder is #6.
- Throttle body
- 6 individual throttle bodies. Cars have done over 1000 whp on stock throttle bodies.
- Balance tube
- Vacuum/boost and water pass though the balance tube
- Exhaust manifold
|Stock manifold on left, Modified N1 on the right|
- Exhaust elbow/Outlet pipe
Bottom end of the motor
- 86mm. Stock pistons are oil cooled.
- 1.5 mm top ring, 1.5 mm 2nd ring.
- N1 has 1.2 mm top and 2nd ring
- 121.5mm center to center.
- RB28's have 119.5 c-c except in a GT block(RRR)
- Oil squirters
- Main cap/girdle
- Seven main bearings.
- #4 being the center main bearing and containing the thrust bearing.
- The other six main bearings are all the same construction.
Bottom end of the RB26 showing the main girdle
- Oil pan
- Cast aluminum
- Contains the front differential
|The front differental is on the right side of this picture|
- Water pump
Far pump is N1, close is normal. Notice the N1 backing plate
- 65mm. Each will meter air up to about 200 whp each.
- Fuel injectors
- 444 cc.
- Yellow top.
- Top feed
- Low impedance
- Fuel pump
- 195 liters per hour - R32
- Crank angle sensor
- Late R32 and early R33 had a slightly different looking sensor
- The R34 uses a different cam drive for the sensor.
- Checking ignition timing and TDC
- Inlet piping
|Divided twin turbo pipe|
- Rear inlet piping collapses under boost.Replacing it with hardpipe is recommended.
- Turbo outlet piping
- The stock outlet piping causes the air out of the turbocharges to come together roughly.
- Testing a modified "twin turbo" pipe
- Stock intercooler will provide better response to approximately 600 wheel horsepower.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network